Backing Up and Restoring Cradlepoint Router Config Settings
Products Supported: IBR6x0, CBR4x0, AER2100, MBR1400, MBR95, MBR1200B, CBA750B. Click here to identify your router.
Firmware Version: 5.3.0 - for information on upgrading firmware, click here. Please note that for the CBR4x0 routers, there will be no further firmware updates, but the process defined below remains the same.
Firmware version 6.0 has been released and introduces a vastly improved GUI for all current Series 3 routers. Cradlepoint has created new Knowledge Base articles with updated screen shots and instructions for the new GUI layout. As a result, this article has received its final update. To view the version of this Knowledge Base article for Firmware 6.0 and Later please click here.
After a device has been setup with the appropriate settings for a specific system, the configuration settings may be saved into a backup file. This file can then be used to quickly update other devices with the same settings or reload the router with the current settings in case the router has to be reset to factory defaults at a later date. This article describes how to create and use the router configuration file.
Configuration Difficulty: Beginner
Click here if you are not sure how to access the administration console of your router.
Before you Start:
Check the model number and firmware version of your router. A configuration file can be applied only to a router of the same model, and only if it is running the same firmware as the one on which the configuration file was saved.
If the configuration file is intended to be shared, make sure to change the administrative and WiFi passwords prior to creating the file.
Saving the Configuration File
Once you are logged into the administrative console of your router, click on the System Settings tab and select System Software from the drop-down menu.
Within the System Config Save/Restore section, click on the Save to disk button.
When prompted, choose the option to Save File to your computer. Do not open the file. If you cannot pick a location to save the file, or do not see any dialog at all, the file will most likely be saved in your Downloads folder.
- The file name will follow the format "cpconfigroutermodel_date.bin", but it can be renamed, so long as the .bin extension is preserved. If possible, move the file to a secure location for safekeeping until there is need to either restore the configuration to your router, or copy the same configuration to a different router.
- Refer to the next section for instructions on using the saved configuration file.
Uploading the Configuration File
- Once you are logged into the administrative console of your router, click on the System Settings tab and select System Software from the drop-down menu.
- Within the System Config Save/Restore section, click on the Upload from file button.
Click the Browse button to select the folder on your computer where the configuration file has been previously saved.
Depending on your Operating System, it may be necessary to click Open after you have selected the file before it is pulled into the Cradlepoint's interface.
Verify that the selected file is correct, and click on the Restore Settings button.
The router will prompt the user to wait until the configuration file is uploaded. A confirmation screen will display when complete.
- Click Reboot the Device for the settings to be loaded to the system. Please note that the router's LAN IP and passwords will have changed to what was specified in the configuration file.
Published Date: 12/11/2014
This article not have what you need? Not find what you were looking for? Think this article can be improved? Please let us know at email@example.com.