Series 3: Configuring a Capable Cradlepoint device as PoE Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE)
Products Supported: AER3100. Click here to identify your router.
Firmware Version: 5.4.2 - for information on upgrading firmware, click here.
Firmware version 6.0 has been released and introduces a vastly improved GUI for all current Series 3 routers. Cradlepoint has created new Knowledge Base articles with updated screen shots and instructions for the new GUI layout. As a result, this article has received its final update. To view the version of this Knowledge Base article for Firmware 6.0 and Later please click here.
The AER3100 is capable of providing Power over Ethernet (POE) to connected devices on 4 ports. This article covers the configuration of the Power Supply Equipment (PSE) functionality of the AER3100. PSE operation is independent of port mode (LAN / WAN).
The Cradlepoint AER3100 provides 60W of available power. With 802.3at devices requiring 30W of power, only two 802.3at compliant devices can be powered at a time.
Configuration Difficulty: Beginner
- Step 1: Log into the router’s Setup Page. For help with logging in please click here.
- Step 2: Click on Network Settings and then WiFi / Local Networks.
- Step 3: Under Local Network Interfaces click on PSE Configuration.
- Step 4: Select the port (9, 10, 11 or 12) that you wish to edit.
- Note: You can only edit one ports settings at a time.
- Step 5: Configure the PSE Settings.
- 5a. Set the PSE Mode to Enabled or Disabled.
- 5b. Allocation Type is limited to Class only.
- 5c. Set the Port Priority to Low, High or Critical.
- Note: Port Priority settings for PSE Configuration are used to determine which ports are prioritized when more power is called for from devices than is available. Criticial Devices will get their power prioritized over High and then High over Low. This can mean that in certain circumstances, Low or even High power devices can go offline due to insufficient power. Please ensure you prioritize your devices properly.
Published Date: 7/30/2015
This article not have what you need? Not find what you were looking for? Think this article can be improved? Please let us know at email@example.com.