NCOS: Manual Modem Firmware Update
Products Supported: Any Series 3 Cradlepoint router or modem. Click here to identify your router.
NCOS Version: 6.0.x or newer. For assistance with updating NCOS Versions, refer to this article.
NOTE: LP6 firmware is stored locally on the Modem, unlike the LP4 firmware that is stored on the Cradlepoint router. For more information on LP4 firmware, click here.
Upgrading the modem firmware regularly is important to keep a secure and reliable internet connection. This can be done manually or through ECM, this document focuses on manual upgrade.
This only upgrades the modem firmware. To upgrade the router NCOS, click here.
During the upgrade process, the modem will restart: the router will go offline for a few minutes if this modem is it's primary WAN connection.
MC400-LP6 series of modem modules can store multiple firmware versions, distinct for each carrier. When updating this modem, each carrier's firmware will need to be updated individually. All other Cradlepoint modems run only a single firmware version, so loading a different firmware image (for another carrier, for example) will overwrite the previous firmware.
Configuration Difficulty: Beginner
- Step 3: Click MY SUPPORT to further expand the menu, then select FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS.
- Step 4: Within the Select Router box, click the drop-down arrow, then select your router model.
Step 5: Scroll down to the MODEM FIRMWARE section, then download and save (do not open) the appropriate Modem Carrier firmware to your computer.
Step 6: Log in to the router NCOS page (click here for help logging in) and navigate to System > System Control > Modem Firmware.
- Step 7: Choose the appropriate modem from the Select Modem drop-down list, then click the File button.
- Step 8: Click Select Firmware File to locate the file that was downloaded during step 5, then click Begin Firmware Update.
- The router UI will provide the progress updates for every step. This process will take several minutes.
- Note: the router will need to reboot to finish applying the modem firmware update.
- Step 9: Verify the firmware was upgraded successfully by following step 6 and verifying the Current Package Version has been updated.
If the router displays a Header Mismatch or Validation error, please verify that the firmware file matches the modem module. LP2 and LP3 firmwares can be used only on European modems, while LP and LE firmwares apply only to the MC200 series modules.
If the router displays an error indicating that an upgrade process is already running, it is likely it has not yet finished or had to abort an earlier modem or router update. Wait for any updates to finish, or, if there aren't any running, reboot the router and try again.
Published Date: 07/14/2017