NetCloud Engine (Formerly Pertino): iOSConnect Setup and FAQ
Products Supported: NetCloud Engine (Formerly Pertino)
This article will explain iOSConnect, and provide instructions for configuring iOSConnect on your NetCloud Engine network and your iOS device.
NOTE: a business account is required for iOSConnect.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can an iOS device do on a NetCloud Engine network?
iOS devices on the NetCloud Engine network can access any server using any protocol. The preferred way of accessing services is using the NetCloud Engine fully qualified hostname (hostname.yournetwork.pertino.net), but direct access via IP address, which you can see in the Web Management Console under device properties, is also supported. Apple’s app store has many well-regarded applications for remote control via RDP and VNC as well as file access over the SMB protocol. Mobile Safari can be used to access any internal web applications. iOS devices on the NetCloud Engine network are client devices only. Connections FROM another computer on the network TO an iPad will not work, even if you do manage to find an app in Apple’s app store that supports incoming connections.
What is new in iOSConnect?
This version enables user-level config profiles as opposed to a shared secret. The user level profiles are built upon our PKI infrastructure.
What is the end-user workflow?
- Users receive the mobile config URL via email.
- Users click on the mobile config URL and are directed to the login page.
- Users log in with their NetCloud Engine credentials.
- The mobile config is downloaded, and the user will be walked through a standard iOS config install flow.
- Once the installation is complete, the user can turn on the VPN service under Settings and use the NetCloud Engine network as desired.
What OS versions are supported?
iOS 7.x and greater
Configuration Difficulty: Intermediate
- Step 1: Log into the NetCloud Engine web console with an admin account.
- Step 2: Select the Network for which iOSConnect will be enabled by clicking on its name.
- Step 3: Click the Settings button at the top right of the screen.
- Step 4: In the list of Entitled services, click the iOSConnect toggle to enable it.
- Note: This step may take a while. In some cases the browser window will need to be refreshed before you see the option has been enabled.
- Step 5: Expand the NetCloud Engine options navigation menu by clicking it at the top left of the screen.
- Step 7: Click the enable toggle next to the mobile users you would like to give VPN access to.
- Step 8: Click Get iOS Profile at the top of the page to generate the user link.
- Step 9: Copy the iosprofile link and email it to the users of enabled iOS Connect accounts.
- Step 10: Have the user click the received link to download and install the client on the iOS device.
- Step 11: Once they’ve logged into the web portal, they should be prompted to Install Profile. Click to Install.
- Step 12: Go to Settings and turn on your VPN to connect to your network and access devices.
Once connected, you need to install the appropriate app to do the job on your iOS device. Below are examples of a few free to use apps to get you started:
- The last step of the end-user workflow results in a web page displaying only the NetCloud Engine logo. This is expected, represents completion of the profile delivery and can be closed.
- VPN connections must be manually established. On-demand connections are not available in this release.
- Apps like GeoView and UsageMonitor will not recognize individual iOS devices
- On certain iOS devices, config for one network overrides the config for a different network resulting in just one mobile config on the device at a time.
- When deactivating the iOSConnect app from AppScape, make sure you only click the Deactivate button once. To re-activate the app, please wait until the button text states Activate (about 15 seconds).
Failed to install iOSConnect Beta v2 mobile config profile on iOS device
If you encountered an unknown error (failed to install profile) while attempting to install your iOSConnect Beta v2 mobile config profile, please check if your NetCloud Engine network name includes one of the following characters:
- quotation mark (")
- ampersand (&)
- apostrophe (')
- less than sign (<)
- greater than sign (>)
If the network name includes any of the above 5 characters, the mobile config profile will fail to install.
As a workaround ask the network owner to change the NetCloud Engine network name and recreate the iOSConnect mobile config.
iOS Connect not working on iOS 9
There is a known issue in Apple's iOS 9 release that breaks many VPN features.
A high-level description can be found here.
Until Apple addresses the issue, users can downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 and continue to use VPN connectivity.
Published Date: 8/19/2016
This article not have what you need? Not find what you were looking for? Think this article can be improved? Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.