Series 3: How to manually update the firmware of a Cradlepoint router
Products Supported: All Series 3 router models. Click here to identify your router.
Firmware Supported: Up to 5.4.x. For more information on upgrading firmware click here.
Firmware version 6.0 has been released and introduces a vastly improved GUI for all current Series 3 routers. Cradlepoint has created new Knowledge Base articles with updated screen shots and instructions for the new GUI layout. As a result, this article has received its final update. To view the version of this Knowledge Base article for Firmware 6.0 and Later please click here.
This article provides step-by-step instructions to manually update firmware on a Series 3 Cradlepoint router.
Note: If you would like to update the firmware automatically, please refer to the instructions describing how to do this within NetCloud Manager.
Part 1: Obtaining the Firmware File
Configuration Difficulty: Beginner
- Step 1: Turn on your Cradlepoint router.
- Step 2: Connect your modem to your computer and establish an internet connection utilizing your carrier instructions.
- Step 3: Open your web browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and type http://cradlepointconnect.force.com into the main address bar.
- Step 4: Log in using your customer Connect Portal credentials.
- Step 5: Click the menu button to expand the drop-down list.
- Step 6: Click MY SUPPORT to further expand the menu, then click FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS.
- Step 7: Within the Select Router box, click the drop-down and then select your router model.
- Step 8: Scroll down to the FIRMWARE AVAILABLE FOR ### ROUTER section, locate the necessary firmware version, then click the Download #.#.# link to initiate the download.
- Step 9: Save the file to a folder on your computer where you can easily locate it later.
- NOTE: DO NOT select the option to Open or to Run the file.
- Note: Your dialog may appear differently, depending on your browser.
- Note: If you never get a "Save" prompt, your browser might be configured to automatically send files to your Downloads folder.
- Step 10: Once the download has completed, disconnect the modem from your computer.
Part 2: Updating the Router Firmware
Configuration Difficulty: Beginner
- Step 1: Log into the router's Setup Page. For help with logging in please click here.
- Step 2: Click the System Settings tab, and choose System Software from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Click the Manual Firmware Upload button.
- Step 4: Within the Manual Firmware Upload dialog, click the Browse button.
- Step 5: Select the location where you had saved the file during Step 9 of Part 1.
- Step 6: Select the file name in the format uroutermodeldateof firmwarerelease.bin and click Open.
- Step 7: Click Begin Firmware Upgrade.
- Step 8: The following screens will be displayed as the firmware is upgraded.
Once the firmware update is complete, if you are connected via Ethernet, you will automatically be returned to the Cradlepoint administrative login page.
If connected via Wi-Fi, your computer may have automatically reconnected to a different available network while the Cradlepoint was rebooting. Please check which network you are connected to, and if necessary, reconnect to the Cradlepoint.
To verify that the router firmware has been correctly updated, log back into the router's administrative console, then go to the Status tab, and select Dashboard from the drop-down menu.
NOTE: It is a good idea to factory reset your device anytime you are updating from a significantly older firmware version to the newest to clear out any archaic settings.
Published Date: 09/08/2015
This article not have what you need? Not find what you were looking for? Think this article can be improved? Please let us know at email@example.com.